Supporting Museums, Arts, Tourism, Culture, and Hospitality Organizations
Talent MATCH was funded by the Ministry of Advanced Education & Skills Training in 2021 and 2022 and was a partnership between the Association for Co-operative Education & Work-Integrated Learning BC/Yukon (ACE-WIL), the BC Alliance for Arts + Culture, the BC Museums Association, and go2HR. It was focused on supporting museums, arts, tourism, culture, and hospitality (MATCH) organizations to hire students. Talent MATCH for Students was a companion program, which supported students looking to work in MATCH sectors.
Although the program has ended, this webpage and the resources here remain to support MATCH organizations considering hiring students. For additional support, contact your local post-secondary institution.
Has your organization considered hiring a student? Or are you a student looking to work in museums, arts, tourism, culture, or the hospitality sector? Talent MATCH is here to support you!
Student talent can bring fresh skills to your organization, help you pivot digitally, and increase capacity.
We would like to highlight key resources to support your process with:
- Funding: Find funding to hire students for your MATCH organization.
- Recruitment: Recruit students through the ACE-WIL Post an Opportunity portal. And use our Simplified Recruitment Guides to find programs to recruit from.
- Resources: Provide you with targeted resources, which can be found below, as well as those on ACE-WIL’s resource hub (which has over 150+ resources to support both employers and students with work-integrated learning).
Recordings of Past Webinars
Click on the name of the webinar to access recordings and slides. Please note that information from these sessions may no longer be up to date. Be sure to check with the funding provider for the latest information.
- Talent MATCH’s Introductory Webinar
- Includes an overview of Talent MATCH and funding info from TECHNATION (a Student Work Placement Program Delivery Partner). Recorded on March 23rd, 2021.
- BC Arts Council’s Early Career Development Program & Other Programs
- The Student Work Placement Program (SWPP)
- Featuring two SWPP funding delivery partners: ICTC WIL Digital and Ontario Chamber of Commerce’s Talent Opportunities Program. Recorded on August 4th, 2021.
- Mitacs Business Strategy Internship & Accelerate Programs
- Propel: A New Wage Subsidy for Tourism & Hospitality Organizations
- Cultural Human Resources Council’s Student Work Placement Program Wage Subsidy (SWPP)
- The Cultural Human Resources Council (CHRC) is dedicated to strengthening Canada’s cultural workforce—and they offer a SWPP wage subsidy for arts and culture organizations. Recorded on November 23rd, 2021.
- Canadian Museums Association’s Young Canada Works Programs
- The Canadian Museums Association delivers two of four Young Canada Works Programs—YCW in Heritage Organizations (YCW-HO) for students returning to school, and YCW at Building Careers in Heritage (YCW-BCH) which supports hiring post-secondary graduates. These programs provide a subsidy of up to 75% of eligible candidates’ salaries. Recorded on December 7th, 2021.
- Canada Summer Jobs
- Service Canada’s Canada Summer Jobs program supports non-profits, small businesses (50 or fewer employees), and public sector employers with wage subsidies to provide quality work experiences for youth aged 15 to 30. Recorded on January 12th, 2022.
- Hiring with EDI in Mind: A Webinar & Resources
- Akanksha Thakur (she/her), the Project Lead for ACE-WIL’s EDI Resource Hub, presented an overview of the EDI Hub, which highlights the barriers that employers and student-employees face, and the resources that were built in response—including tips on inclusive job postings and interviewing, information on accessibility, power dynamics, and much more. Recorded on April 26, 2022.
- General Student Recruitment Guide
- Job Posting Tips & Template
- Simplified Recruitment Guides: Lists of Schools and Programs for MATCH Sectors and Position Types:
- How to Hire For Initiative & Cultivate Initiative
- Post an Opportunity Portal: Recruit from Multiple Schools at Once
Hosting a Student Employee:
- Finding Housing: The Student Housing Search (with Tips for Employers)
- If you hire a student who has to move to a new community, these tips can help them find accommodations during their work term.
- Onboarding Check-List
- How to Be a Good Mentor
- Managing Students Working Remotely
Ending a Work Placement:
- Indigenous WIL Resource Hub: Resources to support Indigenous student access, retention, and success.
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in WIL: Tools and resources to help employers address barriers around discrimination and inclusion.
- Talent MATCH for Students: Resources for students looking to work in and currently working in MATCH sectors.
- Talent 4 Non-Profits: Resources for all non-profit organizations on hiring students, as well as resources for students wanting to work at non-profits.
- The Talent MATCH program is a partnership between the BC Alliance for Arts + Culture, the BC Museums Association, go2HR, and ACE-WIL.
- Find out about the various types of work-integrated learning student talent available in BC.
- Search for available student talent programs in BC (note, not sector specific).
- Search for student talent programs directed at tourism and hospitality (includes private schools that are not listed on the ACE-WIL site).
- Use ACE-WIL to Post an Opportunity to share your job posting across multiple post-secondary schools in BC.
- Review additional resources produced by ACE-WIL on best practices on hiring student talent.