EVENT CANCELLED: Join ACE-WIL BC/Yukon Research Committee on November 29 for a viewing party bookended with 30 min networking sessions, "Nudging Co-op Students Through Sticky Spots".
Event Ends: November 21, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Event Registration: Not required
Audience: ACE-WIL Members
‘NUDGING’ CO-OP STUDENTS THROUGH STICKY SPOTS
Are you looking to boost engagement among your students before, during and after their co-op work terms?
Do you want to help them to make the choices that you know will improve their experiences of the co-op program?
Join us to:
- Learn more about the research project
- Explore how you can apply nudges in your co-op setting
- Workshop evaluation methods of the suggested interventions with fellow practitioners
The ACE-WIL BC/Yukon Research Committee developed this new toolkit to:
- Help co-op practitioners facilitate an enriched co-op student experience
- Reduce the impact of common challenges encountered during the job search process and beyond.
The toolkit was motivated by the fact that ‘nudging’ has demonstrated positive results by successfully increasing the uptake of post-secondary work placements (Fowlie et al., 2020).
Inspired by how behavioural insights (BI) influence actions and outcomes without awareness of the exposure to the stimulus, most nudges apply priming and other related cognitive biases and heuristics, to make it easier for students to make good choices.
Julie Fowlie & Clare Forder (2020) Can students be ‘nudged’ to develop their employability? Using behavioural change methods to encourage uptake of industrial placements, Journal of Education and Work, 33:2, 154-168, DOI: 10.1080/13639080.2020.1749247